Monday, April 21, 2014

Emergency Room Scare

Happy Monday!

I hope your having a great day!

I had to go to the Emergency Room last Tuesday, April 15th. 

My husband posted something on Facebook about us being in the ER, so I created this post to keep you all in the loop!  Thank you for all of the calls and prayers!!

Physical Therapy

At Physical Therapy, I told my Therapist that I've been having a TON of calf stiffness and tightness.  My Physical Therapist, Elisa told me that when I was done with my exercises for the day that she would spend some time rubbing my scar tissue.  I know that she didn't use the word 'rub' - it was a much fancier word but, this is basically what she did.
Once my exercises were done (along with some new ones she decided to throw in there), Elisa had me lay on the table, tummy down.  She used a cream that is reminiscent to icy/hot and started rubbing the area.  She remarked about how tan the area still is from the Radiation.  Then, she sort of honed-in on one area.  It was very tender to the touch.  Elisa told me that "I have some very interesting tissue in my leg."  I told her that a couple of weeks ago, I felt something in there too.  I told her because of this, that I was really reluctant to scheduling my follow-up scan!  She told me that the tissue wasn't there before and that it doesn't feel like muscle or fat tissue.  She told me that it felt like a 'sack'.  She called over the other Therapist that was there at the time, his name is John.  She had John rub the area.  It wasn't long before John stopped and backed away from the table.  He said, "Due to your history and what I'm feeling in your leg.  I'm going to request that Therapy cease for the day and that  you leave and go call you Doctor." (so scary)  Thank GOD they are so thorough!


I called my Oncology Surgeon, Dr. O'Donnell, and Nurse Carol returned my phone call with in 2 minutes!  I told her what the Therapist said and she told me that I needed to go to the ER to get a ultrasound to rule out a blood clot, ASAP.  Nurse Carol told me that it might also be a Seroma, but that it is uncommon.  She also told me that she would move-up the scheduling of my follow-up scans so that they can see it sooner.

Emergency Room

That night my husband took me to the ER and within the hour, my Mom showed-up!  I would have to say that the ER is probably the best place for people watching!!  My name was called and I was brought to a back room for my ultrasound.  Here is a picture of me with the Ultrasound Technician.


Good News - they DID rule out a blood clot!!  They told me that what I have is called a "Wound Seroma".  You can read about it HERE.

The Seroma is about 3cm x 5cm.  Nurse Carol told me that I might be able to get it drained since it is causing pain.  I really hope that they do drain it!  The stiffness and tightening of my calf muscle is similiar to when I had the tumor in my calf muscle - It really creeps me out!!

I have my follow-up MRI scan on my leg scheduled for this Wednesday, April 23rd.  I will know more in the next couple of weeks!

Please pray that the Seroma doesn't grow any bigger!  Pray that the MRI and Chest x-rays come out clear!

On this day and everyday, I am very THANKFUL for the support and love from friends and family.

Thanks for Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: Leave your comments!