Saturday, September 6, 2014

3-Month Follow-up Scans and Results!

I hope you are enjoying your Saturday!

I woke up this morning with a sore throat.  I've been taking it easy today and though I would update you on my most recent scans.

MRI & CT Scan

Towards the end of August, I was scheduled to get my follow-up scans. I got the MRI of my right leg and a Chest CT Scan at an Imaging center up in Auburn.

I had to get both scans on different days due to the different contrast fluids that they inject me with.  For the Chest CT, they inject me with iodine.  If you have had a iodine contrast injected in you before then you know the almost indescribable feeling!  You get hot in your throat, then it burns, then it travels down your body, then your left feeling like you peed your pants!  So weird and so funny all at the same time!  

My Mom was kind enough to drive me to these scans.  Dr. O'Donnell gave me a prescription for Valium for these days that I have scans.  The Valium helps me relax, since I'm in a small tube for up to 90 minutes!  I certainly cannot drive to or from my appointment.  Anyways, I'm very grateful for my Mom for always being there to take me!

Copies of Images and Reports

Whenever I have scans, I always get copies to bring with me to my Oncology follow-up appointment.  Dr. O'Donnell likes to have a master record of all of my scans on file.  I'm never able to get copies of my reports (Radiologist findings), until it has been over 7-days.  This is because they want the chance for my doctor to read them first.  Typically a patient would have a follow-up appointment within a few days of the scans, so you can hear it directly from the doctor - instead of reading them yourself.  There is definite ups and downs to the procedure!  I always like to know ASAP - good or bad, I just want to know.  Its the waiting that kills a person!

This time since my follow-up appointment wasn't until 10 days after my scans I was able to get copies of the radiologist findings prior to my appointment.  Here is a summary of the findings...

  1. CT Scan
    1. An additional spot was found in my lungs.  The original 'spot' was found on my left lung measuring 4mm, the second spot was found on my right lung measuring 3 mm.  Still very tiny, but concerning that there are two now.
    2. "Probable residual thymus".  Read about a Thymus HERE.
  2. MRI of Right Leg
    1. The Seroma in my Right knee has some "irregular advancing tissue" and they are unable to rule out a 'residual tumor' at this time.
Lets just say I didn't sleep very well before my appointment on September 5th!!



"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy: Leave your comments!